Saturday, July 11, 2015

Another Reminder Of Glioblastoma's Evil Power



Right after I got out of the hospital, almost everyone I know had stories of meeting or hearing about someone else with a glioblastoma.  The reality is there are many types of brain cancer, and when someone hears the word glioma, it is usually not the same thing.  However, I did hear about two people who actually had the same disease as myself. One was the young nephew of our mortgage loan officer.  He died in his mid-twenties, just months after finding the tumor.

The second person, who is a friend of my parents, was diagnosed earlier than me.  She too was one of the rare people who made it past the two year mark of diagnosis.  She was doing great until one day her husband came home to find her confused and unable to speak. A quick trip to the hospital was all it took to find out the tumor returned, reminding me that I can never let my guard down.  She is back in treatment and at this time we can only hope the best for her.

After hearing this I asked my neuro-oncologist how he handles having to tell a patient that their cancer has come back.  He said he has individual relationships with each patient and tries to figure out the best way to approach the situation.  He continued to say that he had to go through that several times on that particular day.  I know a lot of people have a hard time stepping away from work each day, but I can’t imagine how to shut that out.  More power to him!

Now onto my latest news.  As far as the cancer is concerned, I am doing surprisingly great with no reoccurrence.  The seizures on the other hand are still causing problems.  Because of my amount of seizure activity my epileptologist, Dr. Ania, feels that “I am like a volcano ready to explode at any moment”.  I, on the other hand am too stubborn to add more meds.  However, the longer that you have any type of seizure activity, the greater the chance of going into status epileptics, which could be very hard to get under control, and sometimes fatal.  We had a trip planned to the Sierra Mountains so I could fulfill a lifelong dream to see the ancient bristlecone pine trees.  Everyone was concerned about me going because of the high altitude, over 11,000 feet and the remoteness of where we would be.  I decide that it is worth the chance, I'm not going to let this disease completely control my life.  We rented a satellite phone to be as prepared as possible.  Dr.  Ania also prescribed a very powerful breakthrough med that Rhonda could administer in case of emergency.  Even with the phone it would take an hour or two for the paramedics to reach us.

The trip went well and now that I am back home we have to figure out what to do about getting control of my ongoing seizure issues.  I was supposed to add a new drug before the trip, but after picking it up from the pharmacy I decided against it.  So my next move is to do a 24 hour lab test to see exactly what kind of activity is going on.  I will be stuck in a room all day wired up like “your humble narrator” Alex, from A Clockwork Orange (sans the eye clamps).

I am hoping for miracle test results that show I won’t need more medications.  However, I think I am kidding myself and the hunt for the right pharmaceutical cocktail will start all over again.


Meanwhile, Rhonda continues to look for more answers or options.  She again called several doctors at top university and research centers.
Their theory is, if I am able to walk, talk and basically function, I am doing great and should count my good fortunes.  I am 100% aware of this fact, but it doesn’t make things easier.




1 comment:

  1. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to make search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady called peter Lizzy she was testifying  to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kind of disease and the herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete