Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Surprise...

-->
    I have always been in fairly good health and pride myself on better than average eating and workout habits.  So I was very shocked when the left side of my body went numb.  I first convinced myself that it must be a pinched nerve or something, but a week later it was still there.  With my wife Rhonda's persuasion, I finally went to the hospital.  The absolute last thing I expected to hear was, we found a tumor in your brain and we would like to do surgery tomorrow to remove it.
Dan and Rhonda on the Via Dell'Amore in Cinque Terre, Italy
    How could this happen to me?  In just over a week’s time I went from feeling great to this.  I imagine the shock I felt was the same as everyone else who has ever been in this situation.
     I told my doctor I needed 24 hours to research and digest the information.  Then two days later I was being prepped for a craniotomy. Everything went perfectly and a few days later I was released to go home to finish recovering.  While in the hospital I thought about how much this is going to not only change my life, but those around me.  No one else's life has been as effected as my wonderful wife who had to put her life on hold in order to assist me with everything.
     It is now almost a month after surgery.  I am feeling better and stronger every day.  The tumor turned out to be a form of cancer known as Glioblastoma.  I am now about to start the next phase of beating this, with chemotherapy and radiation treatments beginning this week.  In addition to the medical science approach, I am also hitting this from a holistic angle, mainly with a ketogenic diet.

Rhonda and I decided to start this blog together to document the whole process for several reasons:
  1. To keep friends and family updated.
  2. Therapeutic for ourselves
  3. To help others who are going through this same thing

Thank you for joining us on this journey.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment